Welcome to the biggest Saunton D-Day event to date – it’s not to be missed! Join us on 15th & 16th June 2019. Expect more planes, vehicles, and re-enactments on the beach to mark the 75th anniversary of D-Day.
Saunton D-Day 2019 is a FREE show to the public and promises to be very special event as it marks the 75th anniversary of D-Day. The programme of events over the two days includes:
* Military vehicle rally along Saunton Beach. 3 miles of open flat sand, unbeatable for tracked and amphibious vehicle owners.
* Living history Allied camps – giving insights into camp routines, training, equipment as the Allied Forces prepared for D-Day
* German camp – giving insights into lives of the ordinary German soldiers defending the beaches of Normandy in the run up to D-Day.
* Normandy defences installation – experience life on the front line.
* Weapons display of real WW2 infantry weapons and German coastal artillery
* Two major battle displays per day over the weekend illustrating the story of the Omaha Beach assault and specialist units such as the engineers.
* Schools education day (Friday) with hands on learning activities + interactive living history characters.
* Family friendly event with food and bars.
* Ample parking + beach-side facilities.
Saunton D-Day takes place amongst the dunes and on the beach where 10,000+ American GIs trained and planned for their assault on Omaha and Utah beaches.
Braunton Burrows was home to the Assault Training Center between September 1943 and April 1944. Within this huge sand dune area, remnants from the training facility exist in the form of concrete landing craft, bazooka wall and the ruins of a Matilda tank.
If you are interested in getting involved with the event, please contact SBE firstname.lastname@example.org